I haven’t really experimented much with embossing folders but have always liked the way that they can add interest to the background of a project so I thought that I would have a go at coming up with something myself.
This “Bird On A Branch” card was what I ended up creating – here is a quick overview of how I put it together.
First off, here is a front view of the finished card.
For that reason, I haven’t got any step by steps for this blog post so I hope that you will get the idea from what I am about to right.
With embossing folders you are always left with a raised area, well, me being me, wondered what would happen if you ran it back through the die cutting machine without the folder after it had been inked.
The result was kind of cool. It literally just flattens the raised areas. The finished effects looked almost as if I had stenciled the pattern onto the paper, rather than embossed and inked.
Here is a view at an angle.
Here is a quick guide to the steps –
- Emboss the cardstock using the embossing folder.
- Brush/blend ink over the surface, making sure to really highlight the raised areas. I used Tim Holtz Distress Inks, but you could of course use your preferred ink for this.
- Put the embossed card back through the embossing machine (covering the inked area with a sheet of paper or card as it’ll probably still be wet). For the Spellbinders Grand Calibur the sandwhich (to flatten the embossed card) will be base plate, cardstock and paper, tan mat and pink plate.
- Remove and use.
It was that simple.
The real benefit that came out of this technique was that the pattern stayed in place even when I then went back in to die cut the cardstock with a shape, which meant that I was able to create the circular aperture you see on the card without losing the design.
Anyway, to finish the card I layered one embossed design onto another (with black card in the middle) and used a die cut from a Marianne Design Creatables die (for the bird), some hand cut pennants with sticky gems on and some leaves from a Martha Stewart punch (which I then chopped in half) to place top/bottom of the pennants.
And et voila, the card was complete.
Anyway, just a quick one today. Hope you liked it.
As ever, if you have any questions or comments then please feel free to use the comments section below.
Thanks for reading and look forward to seeing you again soon.