My First MDF Design – A Brother Scan N Cut Workstation

March 4, 2018 — 49 Comments

Looking back at my desires for the design I first wanted a stable and level platform to use my machine on without having to use it on a table.

DIY Brother Scan N Cut Workstation (8)

DIY Brother Scan N Cut Workstation (9)

Yup! Even on the carpet!

I am going to reclaim my table tops from around the house – woohoo!

Next I asked myself for a stable and level platform for the mat to run on at the front and back.

DIY Brother Scan N Cut Workstation (10)

DIY Brother Scan N Cut Workstation (13)

DIY Brother Scan N Cut Workstation (11)

Yas! Perfect :)

Just enough, but not too much. If I did want to use this on a table, I could use more than the table depth as the mats could run beyond those boundaries.

Looking good so far.

Finally, a place to store accessories and mats.

DIY Brother Scan N Cut Workstation (14)

Two compartments, of different depths, perfect for accessories or pens or whatever, and the whole unit has a lengthy slot underneath into which the 12″ x 12″ or 12″ x 24″ cutting/scanning mats can be stored.

So that would be a YES!

An added benefit that I had designed into the final outline was the fact that I could access the power port …

DIY Brother Scan N Cut Workstation (12)

Could have been a bit tricky to use the machine without that.

Hmmm, looks a little ‘wooden’ though. Think it needs some colour. Time to get decorating…

A couple of thin coats of gesso to get me started.

DIY Brother Scan N Cut Workstation (15)

Had a lovely pie and pea lunch whilst that dried and then went back and gave the outer area a couple of coats of sky blue.

DIY Brother Scan N Cut Workstation (19)

But now what?!

Eek, creative block reached!

Hmmm, I think that I should use the Scan N Cut in some way to finish this off, but how?

I think that I am going to have to come back to this next week. In the meantime, I would love to hear your thoughts on how you would decorate it. Do pop them in the comments section below – I look forward to hearing your thought!

Right, more MDF designing to do so must dash.

See you next time.

J :)

49 responses to My First MDF Design – A Brother Scan N Cut Workstation

John, you and this design is better than excellent..I do hope that we are going to see this for sale SOON..I’m joining the que..xx

Caroline Morrell March 6, 2018 at 12:01 am

You are so talented John and an inspiration to us all. I would decorate mine with some craft inspired images and scrolls from the Scan n Cut.

I would love to buy one of these from you when you have had chance to use it and see if it needs any modifications.

Look forward to seeing your updates on how you decorate it and a video of you using it👍😊

Liked by 1 person

Mr creative! You should be very proud of yourself as this is an awsome idea! Well done you! X

Loraine Bunce March 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm

Can’t wait to see what it looks like !

Brilliant idea John…there is definitely a need for this me thinks! Well done and can’t wait to see it completely finished x

Liked by 1 person

You are an inspiration John a very clever guy this is genious you sure will get plenty of orders for this x

Whoo Hoo! Clever clogs ;-P I love it! Well done you xx

Dawn Robinson March 4, 2018 at 9:41 pm

Wow, this is amazing John! When can we buy them – bet I’m not the only one who’d be in the queue😀 And the storage space is brilliant! Lasersmith are great – I’ve bought a lot of their MDF products.

i think you shoukd decorate with some of the designs from the machine, like the paint brush and pot, in different colours and a rainbow of course, or all girly with flowers from the machine,

Liked by 1 person

bloody hell John your brain has been working overtime, so when do we see it for sale on Create and Craft? May be Stephanie will take it on as a mass production unit.

Just WOW, John :)

Liked by 1 person

Fantastic idea, I neeeed one of these

Your amazing. X

Liked by 1 person

I neeeeeed one of these, especially if I can store my 12 x 24 mats inside. Well thought out, you can tell it was designed by a crafter, because it covers all of the bases. I think you should make your logo in scan n cut & cut it in vinyl.

Liked by 1 person

That’s a great idea a place for everything (scanncut bits and bobs) and everything in it’s place I would love to have one maybe two one for the scanncut and one for my cameo 3 you have such great ideas

Liked by 1 person

Brilliant idea! Well done! It might be an idea to decoupage the lids with clocks, watches, cogs etc as this machine saves us so much time, though I would be tempted to zentangle it. Liz X

Sally McCornack March 4, 2018 at 6:09 pm

That….is…..AMAZING…..want one does not even cover just how many of these would sell overnight. Any chance we will be able to order them in the future?

Liked by 1 person

You have such a wonderful creative mind love this idea john by the way I currently store my SnC mats by hanging from back of craftroom have kept them in original plastic bag covering and hang with plastic trouser hanger

Let us know when you have your idea available

Liked by 1 person

I’m definitely in the queue!! Mx

Liked by 1 person

I want one too 🙂 How about decorating to match the design on the Scanncut?

Hazel Burwell March 4, 2018 at 5:21 pm

Well done John, this is great just what us scan n cutters are looking for.Storage is always a problem for 12×12 mats.

Excellent. I would buy one. You’re so clever😁

Liked by 1 person

Well I am very impressed. Laser Smith is about 10 mins from me. Well don’t think it’s a franchise…. Had I known they were cutting something for you I would have popped in to see what was going on!
    I love your design and it would be so useful so put me down for one. You really are a clever crafter! 😜 Plz

Liked by 1 person

Great design job John, you are such a clever chap xx hazel

Sheryl Carman March 4, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Brilliant. Love the design, and of course want one…NOW!!!!! Seriously though John, will they be available? Love the storage, especially for mats

Liked by 1 person

John this is amazing!!! I too would love to purchase a unit like this for my machine… but I live in the US and just the shipping alone would kill me. BUT I am so impressed!!!

I do keep my sNc on it’s own table… however, ‘stuff’ tends to build up around it.

Liked by 1 person

Brilliant With my limited space I can’t use the 12 x 24 mats so hurry up and get it sorted!

Liked by 1 person

Brilliant John, would be interested as soon as you launch it for real.

Liked by 1 person

What a great idea. You’re onto a winner. Well done.

Liked by 1 person

What a brilliant idea. I think you have come up with a winner. I would definitely buy one if you decide to sell them.

Handmade By Deborah March 4, 2018 at 3:41 pm

Brilliant John – you have another interested party if you manage to build in using the 12×24 mat :)

Liked by 1 person

Thank you. I would definitely be interested in buying one, if you do decide to manufacture. xx

Liked by 1 person

I’m impressed. You never cease to amaze me, in fact I would go as far as very impressed. What overall size is it, or have I floated past measurements without taking it in? xx

Liked by 1 person

It’s great thinking John, looks amazing. Can you use this also on a stool?
    I just wrote in the free svg file post that I wanted to use the file to make a stencil of it, perhaps you can do also and use it for decoration of this great workstation!

Liked by 1 person

Wow that’s impressive John! Perhaps you could look at designing one for a Big Shot at some point in the future? 😉

Alison Starling March 4, 2018 at 2:34 pm

Brilliant idea John will there be an MDF section soon on your shop site please???

Oh and PS how about two extra platform boxes that are loose and could be added when cutting/scanning 24 length mats? or would these not be needed?

Liked by 1 person

Well im loving your design very well thought out

Liked by 1 person

John are you going to sell these please? Because this is EXACTLY what I have been looking for.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks:

1. Take Risks And Stay Curious – An MDF Design From Concept To Completed Creation « Gentleman Crafter - March 23, 2018

[…] you may have seen in my recent My First MDF Design – A Brother Scan N Cut Workstation blog post, I have finally got around to […]

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )