Well me ducks, this old mucker has been tinkering with his embroidery machine this week and I have certainly learnt a few valuable lessons.
Thought it might be fun to share my efforts …
As you may know, I got this machine a while back – in fact, I shared a bit about that about a year ago in this post – at which point I had reasonable success at creating something pretty.
By the way, I still haven’t finished decorating.
Since writing that post though, I have forgotten literally everything that I learned at the time. I was, therefore, starting last weekends experimentation from square one, if you will.
Allow me to set the scene.
Cocky middle-aged man has a notion to convert some of his existing designs into embroidery patterns and so, sets up embroidery machine, opens software on the computer and says, “I’ve seen people do this. It’s proper easy. Push some buttons and off it will trot. Right?”
Now let me share the reality with you.
The software, PE Design 2, was fairly straight forward when it came to converting one of my Mandala designs into a stitched file using the auto-punch feature.
Despite not being able to clear a mysterious area that did not seem to look like it should.
Wafting past that issue with an air of indifference and a shrug, I sent it to stitch anyway.
As before, I loaded up some lovely thread – my first mistake, by the way – and pressed the start button.
Before I share the result, let me explain about the thread mistake.
Well, whilst in the fabric shop I saw some lovely varigated threads and so picked it up thinking that it would be awesome to stitch out an embroidery design with it.
Unlike my first attempt where I used embroidery thread, I hadn’t realised that this was in fact sewing thread, which is thicker.
This, along with the fact that I had not taken into account the order of sewing those shapes led to a less than attractive end result.
In addition, my thread kept snapping. I thought that this was my fault because of the rooky mistake with the thread.
Hmmm, back to the drawing board.
After reorganising the stitch order, – which did take some time and some mental effort, I gave it another go with some actual embroidery thread.
To see the next image that I created, please use the numbered page links below.