Lattice Cutting Files For Brother Scan N Cut

April 5, 2014 — 207 Comments

Just a quick post here to share some of the lattice cutting files, for the Brother Scan N Cut machine, that I showed on Create and Craft TV this morning.Here is a quick pic of them.

Lattice Cutting Files For Brother Scan N Cut

The Files

In order to download simply RIGHT CLICK the link (underlined text) or the image and choose SAVE LINK AS… and then choose where you want to save it.

To cut with your Brother Scan N Cut – transfer the file to your machine via a USB stick and use as a normal cutting file.

File 1 – 7 Inch Square Lattice

7inchsquarelattice

File 2 – Star Lattice Cutting File 1

lattice star frame 1

File 3 – Star Lattice Cutting File 2

lattice star frame 2

File 4 – Star Lattice Cutting File 3

lattice star frame 3

Feel free to make and sell finished projects with these designs. Please don’t sell or share the file – please just link back to this blog post so that other’s can download for themselves :)

Would love to see what you make if you use them.

Many thanks!

J :)

207 responses to Lattice Cutting Files For Brother Scan N Cut

Hi John, Just received my scan N cut machine and am having a play but, I have been watching you and mel on most of the shows and have looked at mels cutting guide for the depth of the blades etc., I have put my blade depth on 5 and pressure on 4 and it still is not cutting through the paper I have, It is a centura pearl paper around 180gsm. What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Frustrated Mary x

Hi Mary, I can’t see any reason to have the pressure on four – I haven’t even needed to put it on that for thick cardstock. Have you checked the blade to make sure that it correctly set up? It sounds like that there is nothing sticking out of the holder.
      One thought would be to completely screw the blade holder so that there is no gap between the top and bottom and then choose your blade depth – if you over loosen it, there will be no blade tip sticking out.
      Once you have done this, perhaps drag it across a piece of card and see if it cuts through the card.
      You might also like to contact Mel via her blog – Paper Dreams – for more advice.

J :)

hi john. can you help me please. i received my scan n cut a few days ago and finally got my usb stick. im downloading files to my computer but i cannot open them. do i have to have a special programme to open them? and how do i convert them to put on usb stick and onto my scan n cut. thank you lucy

Hi there,
    I have received by machine today (hooray) and wanted to try your lattice designs. I can even get my head around the SVG converting thingy yet.

Trouble is when I right click the design, no option of Save Link to comes up.. so I am stumped as to how else can I save them to use on my lovely new machine. Can you help pretty please?

Thank you John I save them them but as yet still trying to pluck up the courage to use my scan n cut having had it for over a year and still on crafting table covered up

Regarding my above post to you John can you let me have Mels email helpline to see if she can help or advise me re my Scan N Cut idle machine many thanks
      Jean confused

Hi jean. There is a link to Mel’s blog top right of this post (or below if viewing on a mobile).

jean confused... November 4, 2014 at 10:47 am

Hi John lovelycutting files I have at last started to try and use my Scan n Cut mschine after having it over a year, when following the quick instructions for cut pressure says -1 for paper but wont go below 1 I followed the specified numbers but when doing the test cut it leaves the design marking on the mat it hasnt cut thru but am worried it may have you any suggestions??
        jean

Bear in mind that all paper/card manufacturers are slightly different. Its impossible to give exact settings for all brands. The recommended settings are therefore only a serving suggestion. You’ll probably need to do a test cut or two to find the right balance for what you are working with.

Thank you John gor your wuick reply, now I have st last started after nearly teo years I am determined to try and get to grips with this machine learning doesn,t come so easy when nearly 80 lol, many thanks. Jesn confused

Sent from Samsung tablet

this is wonderful, thank you for sharing. I was wondering if the machine could be used to cut light weight template plastic. Has anyone tried that?

Hi John

What do you do if you receive and error s15 when trying to convert SVG files on Brother Canvas software?

Many thanks

Selena

Hi John. Is it possible for you to make a List of the different Functions ie:- Unify, Weld etc. As you have made a List for the different Speed and Pressures to be used with various Materials. This would be really useful, especially for New Owners. Regards Edna

Hi John. I see the ScanNCut is being advertised on Create and Craft once again. Can you please tell me where I can Purchase or obtain the Instruction DVD that is now included in the Bundle. Regards Edna

Sorry Edna, I am not sure what you are referring to. I have not been involved with this show so not sure what is being offered. I would strongly suggest that you email the studio during one of the live shows and they might be able to advise better.
      J :)

Hello again. I’ve just spoken to Mel. The DVD that she was referring to was the one that contains the instruction book that has always come with the machine.

Rachael Magee June 24, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Hiya John, I don’t know if you can help me or not. I have my scan n cut a few months now, only recently its starting to rip the paper in places when I’m trying to cut items such as doilies. Now I’ve noticed its starting to do the same with scalloped edged items. Am I doing something wrong? I have tried various blade depth, pressure and speed but to no avail!

It is possible that they blade has now become blunt or chipped. It might be time to get a replacement blade. This of course depends on how much and what you have been cutting, but it seems most likely if you’ve had your machine a few months.

10.

Thank you for your beautiful card ideas. I have one question. What type of adhesive to you use to glue small objects such as the lattice frames to your cards?

11.

john what software would i need to make my own snc files please

12.

Hi John
    Can these files be used within Silhouette as I only have a craft robo as I can’t afford a scan & cut
    Thanks
    Clare

13.

Thankyou so much for sharing these files. I love my SNC and don’t know how I managed without it before.

14.

Many thanks for the inspiration, just a thought can you score your card onthe scan and cut for cardscor boxes?

15.

Hi John. I was wondering if the cutting files from a craft cd could be put onto a USB and used in the Scanncut. I haven’t tried it because I wanted some expert advice first.
    I hope you can help me. Cx

16.

Thank you very much John for the free files..
    Margaret

17.

Hi John, I’m loving my scan n cut, haven’t yet updated mine I’m ashamed to say and still need to get a USB, my question is about the spray adhesive you use, is it the red or purple can? I’d hate to ruin my machine using the wrong one! Many thanks, Julie.

It’s the temporary one called stick n spray (purple can?) Not stick n stay.

Thank you so much, I hope that Create and Craft and Brother realise just how lucky they are to have you and Mel in their team! It’s funny, I’ve had the cans on my shelf for ages but never realised one said “Stay ” and one said “Spray”! Thanks again, Julie

18.

Hi John. This isn’t actually about the lattice work but we’ve just scanned in a template to make Easter chickens and they’ve come out slightly smaller than the original. Can you tell me what we are doing wrong please?

The machine generally scans at actual size. How much smaller is it?

About 2mm. Also when I tried moving it to put more on one page, it wasn’t scanning as a whole but as several sections making me, unfortunately waste card.

Not sure re the size thing. Will need to experiment. Scanning as individual shapes is normal. When you load it you will need to ‘unify’ (group) the shapes so that they resize/move as one.

Thank you for your help. Will try again to see what happens. We used a Cathie Shuttleworth template and thought it would be more accurate doing it this way. Everything else we’ve done in card has been ok. Still trying to master cutting out in felt

19.

Hi John – really want to download the patterns so I can use them on my SNC – I right click on text and press save target as – but it will not open as it ‘does not know the program I want to use – I am doing something wrong obviously – but don’t know what – can you help please

You should just get the option to save if you are doing what you say. The files won’t be recognised on your PC as they are just for the machine. Whichever way you do it the goal is to save to a USB stick. Is there an option to ignore the pop up box that you get?

oh grief John – I put my USB stick in the laptop – right clicked – save picture as – and weyhey I have them on my stick ready to use on SNC. Thank you soo much from a very happy silver surfer x

You’re welcome :)
        Glad you’re sorted.

20.

Thank you, John, for sharing these files. x

21.

Thanks John. You’re brill. I bought Tonic dies especially for the trellis effect. No more thanks to you and the Scan N Cut

22.

can you please explain how do you get downloads to upgrade Scan/N/Cut?? thanking you  Audrey Howard

There are full instructions when you go to download the update. There is a link to this download area on the right (or bottom if viewing on a phone).

23.

Finally gave in and bought the SnC Can’t wait for it to arrive!! Thanks John and Mel for all the great demo’s, all your great tips & these cutting files to get me started too. I’m hooked now. Must now clear my craft room/junk room to make a space for SnC

24.

Many, many thanks for all your hard work. These designs are fantastic and it’s really great of you to share them everyone. You’re an inspiration! It is thanks to you and Mel that I am now the proud owner of a Scan n Cut machine. With you two it’s like having expert pals to help with all our problems. :)

25.

Thanks so much this lattice is gorgeous!!!

26.
    my crafty patch April 9, 2014 at 9:23 am

Hi John
    A very BIG thank you for sharing your lattice files.
    I’ve made an easel card using your square lattice.
    I’ve posted it on my blog and linked back to your post.
    All your hard work is much appreciated !!!!!!!
    Regards Sonia

27.
    Wendy Thorburn April 9, 2014 at 8:06 am

Thank you john for the cutting files, they are great, I managed to download them onto a USB and get them into the S&C all very easily. I have cut them out, wow they are intricate! Must have taken you ages,but they cut out beautifully. Thanks again.Wendy

28.

Hi John. Are there any more of your Designs we can Download and add to our Scan N Cut or USB Stick. The Lattice Designs are amazing and Cut beautifully on the Machine. Regards Edna

29.

Wow thanks John they’re amazing. Can I ask how you design your own files. I’ve not tried that bit yet. Thank you for sharing. xx

30.

Help I am trying to download these great designs but there seems not to be any underlined text or “save to link” when I right click. What am I doing wrong ?

Good point – it seems that hyperlinks in this post may show up as a different colour but it’s really just the text that says file 1, file 2 etc (above each picture)

31.

Many thanks John, just gets better and better – fantastic shapes! Just for interest I’ve just watched a youtube clip using the SE400 and Brother Cut and Scan which cut out an image which was also saved into the embroidery machine (not sure how). A placement stitch is then applied to the back of the fabric which is to be appliqued before putting cut out piece on front and satin stitching. Maybe you could let us know how its done.

32.

Thanks John for the wonderful lattice files. I cut them out today. I very much appreciate your kindness giving these files to everyone owning a scanncut machine which i just love and having lots of tips and ideas from yourself makes this new skill sooooo much easier. Thank you once again. x

33.
    Prudence Vibert April 7, 2014 at 6:56 pm

hi John. i liked your Lattice designs,have put them on a USB as the light was flashing,when I went and put it in the scancut I tapped the USB tab it said retrieving but there was nothing how long does it take to retrieve and show on screen, what have I done wrong,as everything else is great and I love using the machine regards Pru Vibert
    from Jersey Channel Islands

34.

Thank you so much John, we really do appreciate all you do. Keep up the great work, but don’t work too hard, x

35.

Hi there, have finally got round to ordering my SnC, after watching shows from the launch onwards. I do like the circle, with the circly (?) edges that you showed cutting out when you were on TV on Sunday with Dean. Is this straightforward to actually construct? I’ve looked at your post re using Serif2 to make an ovaloid circle with large loops around it, but would the same process work for this other shape. Many thanks!

36.

Many thanks john for sharing your designs with us looks great cant wait to try
    So great to have extra info after buying a machine
    Many thanks to you and mel for all your help Well done

37.

Very many thanks for such super designs John; to give such a generous gift will give so much pleasure to so many people. Big hugs

38.

thank you John for sharing your design files, i’m looking forward to trying them.

39.

Thank you so much John for sharing your files I really do appreciate this

40.

Thanks so much John, brilliant xx

41.

Have cut out 2 of the lattice shapes, brilliant! Many thanks, John.

42.

Thank you so much for these files John, so generous of you to share them. Loving my SnC, amazed at what it can do.

43.

How brilliant of you to share John, they must have taken you ages to do.
    Love and Light
    Sioux x

44.

Thank you John. Have just saved these as per your instructions. Am very grateful to yourself and Mel for all the hard work you both put into this machine for us. Thank you again
    Cheryl S

45.

Thank you very much for sharing your files Ronnie

46.
    Chris Matthews April 6, 2014 at 12:08 pm

A big thank you for sharing your design,as I’m not the best at using the computer to design my own creations.

47.

Thank you for sharing your lovely files.
    Jayne

48.

Wow, thanks John, you are very obviously psychic as I was thinking about designing a lattice so that I could cut it out in Doflex to use in my Spellbinders so you have saved me hours of tearing my hair out trying to remember how to do it! I have said it before and I say it again – you are a STAR xx

Trackbacks and Pingbacks:

1. Wedding Cake | Sonia's Crafty Patch - April 9, 2014

[…] used a lattice file that John Bloodworth (Gentleman Crafter) has shared on his blog here. You can download them for […]